Some of CWCS Achievements
CWCS over the years has significantly contributed through its work with the government of Cameroon and other networks to influence national environmental policies and development of innovative approaches in natural resource management. Some of the main achievements include:
- Working with national government for establishment of protected area within threatened marine and mangrove ecosystems.
- Promoting participatory management with integration of local communities and gender in the management of natural resources through:
- establishment of Community Based Natural Resources Groups,
- development of collaborative agreements amongst groups ,
- development of local institutional framework to support collaborative processes,
- development of consultative platforms to facilitate exchange and experiences,
- Supporting gender initiatives to integrate and facilitate access to natural resources by the rural women.
- Supporting conservation initiatives that address poverty alleviation and improved livelihoods.
- Training of national students and other NGOs in various aspects of natural resources management as part of the capacity building program.
- Developing and testing research methodologies and monitoring programs to evaluate conservation impacts and population trends of notably flagship species as elephants.
Promoting environmental education programs in primary and secondary schools.